Sunday, December 13, 2009

Local Gigantism


 Local gigantism is a condition in which a certain part of the body acquires larger than normal size due to excessive growth of the anatomical structures or abnormal accumulation of substances. It is more common in fingers and toes, where it is termed macroodactyly.

This is broadly classified into two:
CONGENITAL:

  1. Klippel Trenaunay Weber syndrome
  2. Maffucci syndrome
  3. Macrodystrophia lipomatosa
  4. Nerurofibromatosis
  5. Lipoatrophic diabetes

  6. Proteus syndrome, which affected the elephant man:



ACQUIRED:

  1. Inflammation
  2. Tumors - osteoid osteoma, melorheostosis, lipofibromatous hamartoma
3. Arteriovenous malformations (before the closure of epiphysis in long bones)
4. Elephantiasis (S-E Asia, filariasis)
5. Still's disease
6. Amyloidosis
7. Acromegaly
Treatment ranges from antibiotics to correction of the underlying anatomic anomaly.

8 comments:

  1. Keep up the good work...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mijn zoontje heeft hetzelfde !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sir/Madam, Please consult a surgeon and get your son investigated, because if diagnosed early the treatment is possible in most cases.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello!, My son has the exact same condition on his hand, his 2 years old and I been told by the orthopedict doctor that they can de-boned the fingers, his index and thumb? is this true? please any information will be greatly appreciated

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    I am Ravi, 27 years old, from Hyderabad. I have local gigantism on my second toe from my birth.

    It looks cosmetically very bad. Could you please suggest me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ravi,
      Sorry for the late reply, was busy with work and studies.
      As the underlying cause of this are varied. You need to consult a surgeon/plastic and get it evaluated and the treatment shall be tailored accordingly, Apollo Hyderabad is a good option. They may wish to do a few investigations and may need to map the vessels of your foot. As we talked on phone regarding this I feel its not very likely to regress. Do send me the pictures on: drsuchetchaudhary@live.in and let me know how you worked it out. All the best!

      Delete
  6. Hi,

    I have consulted a few plastic surgeons in Hyderabad. They have suggested "ray of amputation" for my second toe.

    Please provide your views on it. By this procedure , would I face any complications in the future. And how long it will take to heal completely.

    Regards,
    Ravi

    ReplyDelete